It’s been a little over a week since WWDC16 and we’re still excited about the upcoming updates to all of the Apple software – especially watchOS 3. Since going on sale just over a year ago, Apple’s first wrist wearable has already ticked through two major software updates but that hasn’t stopped development of even more updates. During last week’s developer conference, the company spent more time talking up the third major Apple Watch software iteration, than anything else.
One thing became crystal clear: a brand new Apple Watch probably isn’t right around the corner. Rather, Apple is focused on making the existing one better, faster, more useful, and more alluring. WatchOS 3 is set for release this fall so if you’ve been on the fence about buying the existing Apple Watch, now’s a great time to pounce. Here’s what you have to look forward to.
- Faster navigation: If you’re a fan of pulling up Control Center on your iPhone to easily toggle things like Vibrate and Airplane mode, you’ll be thrilled to know that something similar is coming to Apple Watch.
- Lightning-fast apps: Apple admitted that load times for apps hampered Watch’s utility, but with watchOS 3, you’ll find apps load and refresh 7x faster. In the demo, the difference was striking. It’s more than a fresh coat of paint; it’s apps on steroids.
- Fast face switching: What’s the point in owning a digital watch if you keep the same face? Soon, you’ll be able to swipe from left-to-right in order to change Watch faces, including a new one that features Minnie Mouse. That’s entirely less cumbersome than the existing hold-and-scroll method.
- Scribble: At last! You can reply to messages on your wrist by scribbling one letter at a time and watching your Apple Watch transcribe it into text characters. Making it easier to write these replies, Apple has updated its message settings so that tapping the reply button is uncessary – your reply options are already there ready and waiting.
- SOS: A tap of the Watch’s side button will now allow you to easily contact local authorities (while also sending your basic medical information) if you opt-in. Safety first!
Given the recent price drop on Apple Watch and the features we have to look forward to this fall, we’re excited about its future. If you’re picking up a Watch for the first time or are a long time user, make sure you check out all the supporting Twelve South accessories. From HiRise and Forte for charging to TimePorter for travel, you’ll be geared up for however you use this powerful piece of wearable technology!